Applications should be submitted here and should include the following:
- If necessary,TOEFL scores etc. GSAS requires a minimum iBT TOEFL score of 90, with sectional minimums of 22 in speaking and writing, and 23 in reading and listening. Our successful applicants typically score much higher than that.
- An unofficial transcript. If you are accepted and decide to attend UVA, you will have to submit an official transcript before you start.
- A statement of purpose. This should describe your research interests and contain any other information that would help us accurately assess your application.
- Letters of recommendation. Please note that we require three letters, although GSAS will consider your application complete with only two. Letters from philosophers who have taught you will carry more weight than letters from others.
- A sample of some of your best philosophical work. Ideally, this will be a short, focused paper that displays your philosophical understanding, reasoning, and argumentative skills.
- The application fee, or—if you’re requesting that GSAS waive the application fee—supporting documentation.
Your application must be received by January 15 in order for you to be considered for admission for the upcoming academic year. All application materials must be uploaded by 11:59 p.m. on January 15th.
International Students are encouraged to apply. More information regarding UVA's stance pertaining to the recent EO, can be found here.